Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ikat + Zara

My first purchase from Zara in Atlanta is this Ikat dress. Lately I've been noticing that Ikat patterns are everywhere and have been desperate to get my hands on something Ikat-ish. So you can imagine how happy I was to find not only a somewhat affordable Ikat jersey dress, but one that's kind of Balenciaga inspired.

This photo was taken while helping out at the Wren's Nest Christmas party. (I have no idea why I posed that way - it looks like I'm attempting to do a jig). Sunglasses: Target, dress: Zara, bracelets: from Brazil, leggings: American Apparel, flats: Delias.

Evidence of the current Ikat trend:

Balenciaga RTW Fall 2007 and Oscar de la Renta RTW Spring 2008 (photos from style.com)

Ikat couch (www.wallpapernews.com) and a swatch of fabric from Hancockandmoore.com

C.L.

9 comments:

http://elfashionista.net said...

that dress looks pretty nice!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a ton of Ikat salwars...I will be cutting and hemming and re modelling!!!!
We ended up at the cheesecake facory and we hated it!!!We always go to Houstons but I am so bored with it!!!But I guess its back to Houstons from now on!!!

Lynn said...

Very authentic dress you got. Ikat (or pua as it is also known) originates from the Iban tribe in Sarawak, M'sia. You can search them online, not sure if there are online stores selling ikat/pua finished products, but these things come cheap here. Ranging from home decorative items to dresses to pareos, even clutches and bags, you name it, there's a lot of ikat things in Sarawak!

L.I.N said...

i never know it was called ikat!
lovely dress! and come to think about it, my mum has an ikat cardigan!

Romeika said...

This sort of pattern is everywhere indeed, good purchase!

AsianCajuns said...

Thanks mer and romeika!

Vintagebunny, I can't wait to see wait to see what you make out of your Ikat salwars!

You're so knowledgeable Lynn. I'm so jealous that you can get pua/ikat items on the cheap!

Eleh, make sure you post a picture of yourself wearing that cardigan - it sounds fabulous.

Anonymous said...

nicely executed!

it makes a nod towards the designer looks, but you make it your own...
those flats are so neat!

WendyB said...

Cute dress!

s.i. michaels said...

Love the dress. God, I wish we had a Zara here.