Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lar: Napoleon Complex

Dress is Old Navy, belt is thrifted, non-Napoleonic hat is Minnetonka, shoes are Frye via Jac.

The story in our family goes that our Cajun ancestors are actually deserters of Napoleon's army. When Boney left his army to wither in the Egyptian desert, our great-great-great-etc. grandfather high-tailed it to The "New" World and settled in an only slightly more hospitable place off the Gulf of Mexico.

I felt concern at first that this tyrant looks a bit like a cross-dresser in the left-hand photo, but considering the fate he left our dear old descendent (and so many others), that feeling is brief and fleeting. And really, I think Josephine would have envied those earrings...

The Napoleon Complex describes an alleged type of inferiority complex which is said to affect some people, especially men, who are short in stature (thank you wikipedia).

On a good day Cath and I can boast a solid 5' 3." However we rarely feel the urge to spark revolutions or crown ourselves emperors. Our "complex" manifests itself solely (harhar) in frequent purchase of tall shoes; preferably tall, nude colored shoes (see Frye sandals in above photos). I love my black platforms, but nothing makes me look more like 5'7 to 5'8 than towers that match the color of my legs.

All that said, Cath and I do not bemoan our stature. Being petite (just like being very tall) has its advantages. But on those days that I want to feel a little like a mini-despot, a strong heel is just the thing. Once I start brandishing a bayonet and wearing fifteen pounds of gold encircled upon my head, feel free to pry those heels off.

LL

21 comments:

we wear things said...

simple chic!! gorgeous.

WendyB said...

That picture made me laugh out loud. I'm working on an Empress Josephine jewelry piece, of course. That one will be a while!

Blicious said...

that dress is so cute!!

Val said...

Haha. It's so awesome that you're great great great....grandfather was part of napoleon's army. And I agree, being petite definitely does have it's advantages :)

Love the shoes

Aline said...

you're hilarious!

I love your outfit too!

myedit said...

Tall or short, those a fantastic shoes!!! I'm 5'11 and even though I'd be the tallest peep in the room, I'd wear those in a second!!

Melissa~ said...

Well, I'm very tall, so people don't like when I use high heels, they fell more small. But I love high heels *snif*...anyway, first, is very awesome that you're greatx100 grandfather was part of the napoleon army!
And be petite is cool, the same way that be tall is cool, like you said, both has its advantages.

Thanks for visit my blog girls!

Emily Kennedy said...

Simply excellent post. Nothing beats a fashion posting like a Fashion Posting with History.

Anonymous social worker said...

Sup Asians? I love saying that, loce the napoleon mask!
and
wow? decedents form napoleon? amazing!
..
I should also let you know that having a giveaway that i'm sure you guys will like http://www.fireflyology.com/2009/08/giveaway-katharine-hepburn-tritbute.html

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

haha that is awesome. Love the dress, the belt is a great accessory! Sometimes I wonder how people get away with wearing such short dresses. it looks great but what do you do when a huge gust of wind comes along?
:) Hope you have a good day!

H @ Narnia's Closet said...

you're adorable. i looove the shoes. and personally i'd rather be little than tall. i'm about 5'7" and curvy which can make me feel a little large when i'm with my itty bitty friends

Hairdresser said...

hi girl, will you plz link to my hair style blog?
http://myhaircuts.blogspot.com
<3
thanks!

Annie Spandex said...

The simplicity of this outfit is absolutely divine! There's no other way to say it! It's just perfect

mai said...

i fear that i sometimes suffer from that exact complex, i stand at a measly 5'2

but then i think to myself, i'm not short, i'm fun-sized :)

Grace Like Kelly said...

Love the shoes!

Anonymous said...

Ya never know, Lar. One day you might slip on a pair of shoes that DOES make you want to take over the world.

Ace said...

I love this look! I too am short, I generously say 5'2" but that's pushing it a bit. I suppose I could lament my height, guess I'll never have that modeling career, but instead I love it. Being small allows me to act girly and cute but still be a feisty little firecracker. I also love that pretty much no matter what guys are always taller than me. Plus I get the fun of explaining that I am not short, I'm simply travel size.

Anonymous said...

love the shoes and the dress! i am 4'11.75 if that makes you feel better and i find myself wearing flats more. but yes some heels can make me overcome the fact that i am vertically challenged!

michelle said...

You mean "ancestor," not "descendant." :)

Ela said...

What??? I always thought you guys were taller than me! I'm just under 5'4 but I tell you those photos make you girls look darn tall!

LOL, my parents taught me this term at a very young age, I was probably the only 6yr old asking my classmates if they had this problem. I'd forgotten all about it!

Lar, thanks so much for your sweet comments on my *eat something* fiasco. I also feel that I'm too old to let this bother me, LOL. Maybe in my 40s I won't even raise an eyebrow :) Wanna trade yours (or Cath's) legs for mine? I'm jealous - you guys have the perfect calves :) xx

Diane said...

well if it makes you girls feel any better i thought you were both way taller than 5'3"!!!