Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Salute to Merce Cunningham

photo courtesy of danceheritage.org

Reading about Merce Cunningham's passing earlier this week, Cath and I felt one of those great lights had gone out. As young dancers we dreamed of dancing with anyone as powerfully moving and awe inspiring. 

"You have to love dancing to stick to it. It gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that single fleeting moment when you feel alive. It is not for unsteady souls."


We never got a chance to dance a Cunningham piece, so I have no idea what I'm doing here. I'm pretty sure he would have vetoed the 5 inch stilettos.

Cath and I stuck with dancing from the wee age of three until the "end of our careers" at 18 (pesky college got in the way), but seeing that this man was still moving and pushing dance forward until his 80s proves that he is one of those steady souls.  

Thank you, Mr. Cunningham.

LL

8 comments:

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

lovely pictures..very poise

Ashley said...

i felt the same way. i used to dream of dancing with merce's company when i was in high school. love that quote, too.

SK said...

I'm sure he would have applauded your creativity and finesse :)

greenjeans said...

Overalls, well spoken, and talents. I don't know anything about dance (other than Fonteyn and Ailey) but I do know that guy seems super steezy.

Ela said...

What a wonderful talent and contributer to dance. Your photos are lovely and feel dreamlike!
I hope you gals had a fabulous time at the Clermont.
Oh and Lar, you look super fab in the mean reds post - love the har and red looks amazing on you!
Happy weekend to you both! xx

Unknown said...

That quote is especially amazing. I used to feel that way about performing music. You look gorgeous in the white dress. So elegant.

Lisa said...

You look so graceful! I love the shoes.

Allie said...

The quote is so appropriate. One of my favorite dance teachers in high school was always drawing inspiration from Cunningham. Especially with the way she structured choreography in her pieces.

Aaaaand, I was thinking the other day that I should start taking outfit pics with MOVEMENT! So tired of awkwardly posing.

xoxo.