Monday, May 11, 2009

Cycle Shorts: The Summer Legging?



Some of you might have never been a fan of the legging in the winter, but they are like sweat pants to me. Sweat pants that you can wear out in public and still look decent. In fact, I don't own a pair of sweats because I can just as easily wear leggings out of the house and pretend I didn't just nap in them for 3 hours. A chilly day ensemble: leggings, oversized sweater, boots, a scarf- so comfortable, so easy, so chic (well, at least better than those sweats).

So come summer I'm usually stumped for comfortable leg wear. Shorts are fine, but they are a little constricting (especially when they chop you off right at the meatiest part of your thigh). Skirts are good, but sitting cross-legged at a picnic isn't an option. I propose the bicycle short.

Circa 1992, Cath and I would run around in magenta cycle shorts and over-sized tees tied in a side knot. I've eschewed the scrunchie and reebok hightops this go 'round, but it's essentially the same outfit and as comfortable as I remember it from nearly two decades ago.

I favor a huge platform shoe, long tee or tank with the short. For the more fearless, a cropped top could work (I personally like a little more coverage especially if your shoes are hooker-esque), and I think a sleek looking sandal sans heel would be chic for those of you in less need of a 5 inch boost.

What do you guys think? "Summer leggings" a go? Even if you are a little skeptical, you should try it. It's so gosh darned comfortable I think you'll be a convert. Also it's a little reprieve from this year's ubiquitous cut-offs trend.

Oh, and I'm not stopping at black. I just bought these understated summer leggings at AA this past weekend. Outfit post forthcoming.



LL

shirt from Urban, shorts from AA, shoes are Target (soon to be studded), jacket is H&M

29 comments:

indigotangerine said...

You seem to pull them off, but i don't know if i can try it. Years of biking makes me assosiate them with sweaty, sunburned men, whose bike short emphasized..erm... everything. i'd be interested to see how you style the pink ones.
-indigo

AsianCajuns said...

I can definitely understand that they aren't for everyone, IndigoTangerine! I did ballet for years and years so men in revealing tights seems pretty natural to me- haha! Though I think I would hesitate suggesting this trend to my man friends. I'm not sure it's the most flattering option.

Shen-Shen said...

Hmm.. I think I actually have a similar pair of shorts, but they just make me feel fat!

kokostiletto said...

well you guys definetely loook smoking hot in them! i don't know if everybody could pull if off... i think you need a specific body type to pull it off and make it look chic....

Sharon S said...

Hi there-you so pull them off and look fabulous, but they are a no no for me, LOL! I'll go for the longer length leggings!

..... said...

Is the first time Im seeing this type of pants with heels :D and u look good :)

Anonymous said...

Damn, the 90s really are back with a vengeance. I don't know if I can get behind this one, Laur, even though you look great in both of these outfits. I'd be willing to bet you'll prove to be a brilliant trend forecaster and I'll be eating my words by August.

May Kasahara said...

it makes perfect sense. Same idea as a stretchy black mini - but you can bend over and pick stuff up!

Unknown said...

I've been wondering when I was gonna see the return of the bike short ...lol. looking hot hot hot!

Anonymous said...

Haha, love this! I think you look fab, but wouldn't dare try it without the shirt covering my arse. That said, great idea! And I totally had magenta biker shorts too circa early 90s!

xo, Becs
http://www.stylewithbenefits.wordpress.com

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Woohoo! Now I would need a Hermes bike!...haha* ~Fab week girls!!

Lisa said...

This is hilarious--I was actually contemplating adding cycling shorts to my spring shopping list a couple weeks ago! You look great in yours.

Unknown said...

I'm kind of tired of seeing leggings under dresses (like instead of tights) but I when I feel skinny I love wearing them as pants! The bicycle short, genius! It is the perfect summer version, and I love ease and comfort in the summer :~)

Allie said...

That's such a crazy idea, it may actually be brilliant. I got rid of so many pairs of bike shorts so long ago. I can't justify thrifting for some, LOL. Not sure why. But your legs look hot girl!

Elizabeth Marie said...

I think I need a few more weeks of pilates before I attempt these. But when I do, I'm getting a bright color! Go big or go home! XO

ediot said...

hm.. i am a bit sceptical to them. but i guess... i'd better get used to it. i hear its gonna be a big hit.
i like the neon version..completely in love with bright colours right now. take care honeys.xx

LF said...

YESS! such a grand idea, checking into AA's version now!

jess s//

Mary said...

definitely a great idea :) i do the same, except with compression shorts, which are almost the same thing. love it!

Margaret Meyer said...

I think you guys can make it work. And we can all say we were here when it started......

P.S. So you don't have to check back in on my blog, that backdrop is actually just a white sheet. From the thrift store around the corner. I'm so cheap.

muchlove said...

you can really make it work! they look so cute on you.

PASH UP said...

Cycle shorts!!! I would never have thought of it as a summer legging! Look very cute on you ;)

ashley said...

I was a winter leggings hater, but your description kind of made me want to convert.

I definitely can't rock the shorts. I've hated my thighs since I was eight, and these would squeeze my "meaty" thigh right where it's not cute.

I hate it when I can't rock the cute and comfy trend. Boo.

Looks adorable on you though!

Maeko said...

Lauren, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Keep them in the house, darling! They're adorable on you, but just not right for the public eye. ^_^

Also, noticed Maeko/Thereafterish has disappeared from your Link Karma. Would you kindly throw it back in there? <3

Lainey said...

That's actually very clever. I might have to go pick some up at AA, when I get a chance. I just worry about it my thighs look even bigger than they already are. :)

Alya said...

I could never! But they look good on you :)

paanie said...

that's an interesting concept. you certainly pull it off! i don't think i would be comfortable wearing them because of their tightness. for some reason short shorts don't scare me as much as bicycle shorts@

Aline said...

somehow they magically look okay on you, but it would be a no no for me!

Dream Sequins said...

I think a shorter legging would work under a very flirty frilly skirt-- maybe a sheer floral?

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren, so have you seen these liquid biker shorts now on Forever 21? Link below:

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=whatsnew_app&product_id=2062726002&Page=1

I saw them and thought about your post! :) BTW, read what you wrote to Mel, and we also fight about who saw something first. And when we go shopping and both like the same thing, it's like a contest over who can find the small size.. bad news when there's only one small. :)

xo, Becs