Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Isle of Skye, Prepster Style

To say that Lauren and I are a little obsessed with all things Scottish is an understatement. We studied in Edinburgh for six months in 2004 and have been completely head-over-heals in love with Scotland ever since.

I get excited anytime I see anything Scotland-related. Fashion-wise, I loved Marc Jacobs and Alexander McQueen's Scotland-inspired RTW lines from a few seasons back and now I'm enjoying J.Crew's take on the highlands:

If you visit J.Crew's website this holiday season, you'll be welcomed with a short video about the holiday fashion shoot on the Isle of Skye, A Highland Holiday. It has all the cheesy, touristy Scottish elements (hills covered in heather, bagpipes, tartan) making it a modern day Brigadoon and the narrator has this great Scottish lilt that makes him possible to understand (and proves he's not from Skye).

Although there are few authentic Scottish things in J.Crew's version (I don't think Skye has ever been that sunny), it's still great to know that the mythical imagery of the highlands still influences today's fashions.

As I've mentioned many times before, J.Crew's clothing is too preppy for my personal style (and the inflated prices are a turn-off), but their images are always great - especially when two west highland terrors and a highland "coo" are added to the mix.

C.L.

5 comments:

Mare said...

My friends and I discovered this in Ireland many years ago: You can't beat a good pair of Wellies! They look particularly good on men. (But, ya know, I don't think that one J. Crew guy looks entirely comfortable holding onto that steer's horn!)

Andrew Fleischman said...

WHAT! You guys have been liking Scotland all this time? But you went to all my kilt burnings and bagpipe shreddings! I feel so betrayed.

Anonymous said...

I never fail to snap up any JCrew I find at thrift stores. It's almost always in near new condition and takes forever to wear out.

Retail, though, I never buy unless it's on sale. Have to say I'm coveting the alice jacket, though.

Emma said...

Scot is hot, I must admit. All those thick knits and plaid and such...lovely.

AsianCajuns said...

Aunt Mare- we would love a pair of wellies! But talk about expensive...boo. I've been pining for a pair of Hunters in hunter green, (it's probably what the Queen wears at Balmoral) since I've known what wellies are.
Fleischman, what can I say, buddy? Just s&*te out of luck ;)
Ambika, we totally agree... I don't think I actually own any J.Crew at the moment... well unless you count the catalog.
Emma, have you been to Scotland? We totally suggest a visit to Edinburgh, Glasgow, the highlands.. alright, the whole country!