Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ode to Mondrian, et al.



I don't know if you've noticed, lovely readers, but Cath has been shouldering the brunt of the blogging work for the last 2 weeks or so. I've finally recovered enough from a nasty bout of pneumonia so that I can sit up in front of my Mac for more than 5 minutes. Progress indeed!

Before I became an invalid (think trivial Jane Austen character with consumption, hacking lungs out on the settee), I bought this wonderful shift, jersey dress from one of those cheesy/trashy stores at a local discount mall.

I was thrilled that it was related to these things:


(Patridge Family bus and YSL's Mondrian dress c. 1965)

But the art history student in me is even more thrilled to look like a De Stijl painting rather than just a bus or a knock-off:



I don't mean to sound like a snot. I mean, the Partridge Family bus is delightfully retro and Yves Saint Laurent's dress is a masterpiece, but if it weren't for Piet Mondrian, where would they be?

Instead of just a $20 dress, I'm wearing this (in Piet's own words):
"I construct lines and color combinations on a flat surface, in order to express general beauty with the utmost awareness. Nature (or, that which I see) inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation (still just an external foundation!) of things…
I believe it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true."
For more information on Mondrian and the De Stijl movement click here.

LL

21 comments:

Jill said...

Glad to hear that you are recovering. That dress is lovely, and you look great, I wouldn't have known you had just had a nasty bout of pneumonia!

pearl said...

Art or fashion, its a great Mod look! Glad you're feeling better. :)

Sharon S said...

This totally rocks on you!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Songy said...

modern and classic.. who would have thought I would see these..
I remember when I was at school trying to remember all the names of western artists specially I dreaded modern art.. why couldn't we study this way! it's so engaging. ha ha..
Brilliant. It's great that you're healthy enough to blog!

^__^ WELCOME BACK

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. The dress is awesome! And that's even cooler you're paying homage to the art piece- yay! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Mondrian! Nice stuff

Anonymous said...

I'm mad for Mondrian. I think you look fabulous in that shift dress.

Elizabeth said...

The regimented side of me has always loved Mondrian's work, and the derivatives thereof. Especially this dress. It is perfect!

Shen-Shen said...

I have a thing for Piet Mondrian inspired things.. I absolutely adore that dress, I want a cheesy/trashy store to buy similar things from!

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you're feeling better! love the dress and is that a foley + corinna bag? i just got my first one and am in love!

AsianCajuns said...

Jill, thank you so much! I actually cheated- those photos are right before the pneumonia attacked.

FT and JuliaFuentes, thanks!

Pearl, I completely agree. I love when fashion and art work together.

Thanks so much, Sharon!

Songy, I totally agree! I would have been a better art history student if there were fashion pieces that corresponded to each artist!

Exactly, Terri! Yea, Mondrian! (people should say that more ;)

Broderick, I've always been a fan of his too, and I love that he was so influential.

Angie, thanks so much! It's one of the most comfortable pieces I own.

Thanks, Enc! That's exactly how I feel. It counter-balances any of my tendencies towards boho.

Shen-shen, I just saw this dress on the F21 site too!

Cupcakes and Cashmere, my purse is actually by Ashley Watson (she makes purses out of vintage leather jackets)- but I just went to the Foley + Corinna site and I love those too!

Angela said...

oh.. being sick sure is terrible. glad you are better. love the dress and yes, thanks to the talented artist for giving us the idea behind the dress.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Wonderful dress! I quite agree with you on the history lesson. I'd rather go to the very first source, rather than the most recent incarnation. ^_^

kokostiletto said...

that is just gorgeous!

LalaLiu said...

I'm glad that you're getting better. and you look so smashing in your mondrian dress. I never got what was so great about his work but I can certainly appreciate it from an intellectual stance. is that the dress from F21?

LizBlair said...

Its a cool dress! Unfortunately, I was a kid when the Partridges were popular, and when I see Mondrian I tend to think of that silly bus! I hope you are feeling better. I had pneumonia once and it felt like someone had stuck a knife through my ribs, especially first thing in the morning.

we wear things said...

that colorblock dress is fabulous!! it looks great on you!

-issa

yiqin; said...

Ahh I loved the print when I saw it on F21!

Asi Mod said...

Oh my! $20 for that cute replica of the Mondrian dress!?!?! You can get lunch for $20 in NYC.

P/S> Feel better.

Pamela Tan said...

the dress looks perfect for a 'feel-better' phase :) nice bold colors :)

ediot said...

What a fun dress! wow!