Monday, January 5, 2009

A Visit to the Swan House

Although we've lived in Atlanta for a while, this was our first visit to the Swan House. It's a large historic house located on the grounds of the Atlanta History Center in Buckhead (a neighborhood of Atlanta).

The home's classical style makes it look older than its 80 years. Built in 1928 the house is considered relatively new even by American historical standards. However, Atlanta is quick to get rid of any building older than 30 years. So the Swan House is practically pre-historic considering its location.

Fortunately, the Atlanta History Center has been able to preserve the Swan House so that tourists, like myself, are able to explore the beautiful home formerly owned by the somewhat cultured and very wealthy Inman family.
Photobucket

Although the tour was over an hour long and it was a muddy walk to the home from the history center, Lauren and I felt it was only proper to wear heels to such a stately place. (Also, at a short 5'3", our vanity almost completely prevents us from wearing flats in public).
Photobucket
Outfit details: Lauren is wearing a H&M jacket, AA dress, H&M shoes and Ann Taylor purse. I'm wearing the same red Nordstrom coat from Saturday's post, Gap dress and H&M shoes.

I'm no expert in animal husbandry, but I believe the creature pictured below is a ram (which is a male sheep...I think). He was just standing around on the small farm located between the Swan House and Atlanta History Center. He was the only animal we saw on the grounds, which made me doubt the efficiency of the quarter acre farm. That being said, there is the requisite historic black smithy next door to the ram's house/shed/pen/barn/log cabbin(?).
Photobucket

Needless to say it was a very enjoyable - and educational - visit. I highly recommend a trip to the Swan House and its surroundings.

CL

20 comments:

L.I.N said...

did i say thank you for helping me out with the enlarged images? :) thank you dearies.

and oh. just by looking at the architectures, you can somewhat imagine and feel the life that once existed in this house.

yiqin; said...

Wow, what an interesting trip! You both look good! :)

Ashley said...

Love the outfits, especially your coat, Cath! Also, you're hair looks great... love the color!

Anonymous said...

Yay for pretty outfits in historical settings! Did you guys eat there? I went there for a bridal shower once and only remember the yummy sweets! :-)

Lisa said...

Maybe he's a display ram to add to the ambiance? Regardless, Swan House looks like an interesting place.

June Shin said...

Oooh, that sounds like fun. I'll have to put the Swan house on my mental list of places to see.

kokostiletto said...

is that the funnel neck shift dress?? i have the same one!!!

Fashion Tidbits said...

a ram and a ramshed. correct. :)

Unknown said...

always tourist in style!
:)

Anonymous said...

Not sure which I love more: Cath doing a jig in the ivy patch, or the serene ram.

Syed said...

Love both of your shoes and the red coat :) And what an interesting place to visit!

WendyB said...

That's a handsome ram -- I like his horns. Good accessorizing.

Clare said...

Pretty! I'd love to visit sometime!

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing, girls! :-) I have a post on The Swan House going live tomorrow on my site! haha

Great minds think alike!

Unknown said...

oooh i'm lovin' both outfits!!! i'm only 5'2" so i feel the need to pull out the heels as often as possible too!

Jill said...

I love the ram! (Sorry, now that that's out of the way.) The house has this dignified look about it. It seems to fit its name. I really like the bright colour of Lauren's red dress and your red coat. (But I wish I could see the gap dress better!) Very nice!

LJ said...

Lauren, you outfit looks very cute and comfy too!
xx-LJ from SOS!

Andrew Fleischman said...

Sad to say, I think it was a crossdressing ewe with prosthetic horns. Those damn liberals have gotten to our farm animals.

beccaweber said...

that is where my cousin and kat both had their bridal party luncheons! :)

Miyu said...

Hm...I've never been to the Swan House either, good to know it's worth a trip!