Saturday, May 5, 2007

Frida Kahlo • Style Icon


Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone! I know that the only connection Frida and The Margarita Holiday have in common is that they are both Mexican, but I figured that was enough of an excuse to highlight her as a relevant Style Icon. Yes, she was a spectacular artist, and yes, she did have a marvelous uni-brow, but i think it fair to mention that her quality of the dramatic in her attire is equally memorable.
And I am not alone in this. Just scan the runways of Roberto Cavalli, Gucci, Moschino, Prada, Missoni, Gianfranco Ferre. They have rightfully payed homage to the intricate patterns and daring colors of Frida and her South of the Border compatriots.
I mean, just look at those flowers, the hair, the color! If I could I would paint my rented apartment like a Frida portrait.
I am so inspired that I might try to dress like a contemporary Frida for tonight's Cinco de Mayo festivities (though that might look a little out of place on Georgia Tech's campus- I doubt Frida would have considered it as a painterly backdrop). If the outfit turns out at all inspired, I'll post it tomorrow. In the meantime, happy drinking!

1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

If we could all be as fearless as Frida!